Time and again, people have started realizing that getting requisite sleep every night is essential to have a healthy body and mind. Interestingly, many people tend to skip sleep or go to bed later when they find themselves short of time to complete their to-do list. This can turn out to be detrimental to their health in the future. Investing in orthopaedic memory foam mattress from Wakefit can go a long way in helping you get those precious hours of sleep each night.
As you sleep, your body heals itself and gets ready for the new challenges it has to face the following day. People who skip on sleep often find it difficult to focus on the task at hand and also feel exhausted before the day is over.
While people understand that sleep is critical to their overall health, not many people realize that the quality of their sleep is also equally important. The quality of sleep is based on four pillars:
- Depth of your sleep: This is determined based on the brain waves that are produced by the brain during the different stages of sleep.
- Duration of sleep: An average adult between 18 to 65 years of age is expected to get 7 to 9 hours of sleep every day. This varies based on age, physical activities, gender and so on.
- Continuity of sleep: This determines whether you are able to achieve continuous sleep throughout the night or end up waking up frequently.
- The regularity of sleep: The regularity of your sleep is determined by taking a look at your sleep schedule. People who go to bed and wake up each morning at the same time every day are believed to achieve quality sleep.
Here are a few facts that will help you get a better understanding of the relation between sleep and your health in the long run:
- The body requires enough rest every day in order to be able to make use of any flu shots that you take, else the antibodies are rendered useless.
- Studies have shown that men who sleep less than five hours a night have a higher level of testosterone, similar to men who are ten years older than them.
- Data collected by sleep trackers have an accuracy rate of 60% or less.
- Studies have shown that playing sounds while you sleep can help improve your memory.
- The effects of caffeine are believed to remain for at least six hours. So if you plan on getting a good night’s sleep, avoid any caffeine beverages after noon.
- Not getting enough sleep has been observed to act as a carcinogen. In fact, the World Health Organization has even classified night time shifts at work as a probable carcinogen.
- Getting seven to nine hours of restorative, deep sleep each night allows the mind and body to feel rejuvenated and refreshed the following day.
Although many people realize the importance of sleep, they find it difficult to fall asleep even when they go to bed. Sticking to a sleep schedule will help the body get used to the new routine and help you fall asleep faster each night. You will also need to keep electronic devices like smartphones, tabs, laptops and so on out of reach when you get ready for bedtime. These devices emit blue light which tricks your brain to stay awake longer. Some people also use blackout curtains in their bedroom to prevent light from streaming in through the windows and affecting their sleep quality. You can also make your bedroom a more conducive environment for sleep by sticking to a peaceful décor without bright colours or loud décor pieces and investing in a memory foam mattress double as well.
With these simple changes, you will be able to sleep better and change your life for the better in the long run.