How to Find Help for Undocumented Immigrants: 3 Things to Know

Are you an undocumented immigrant and want to find a way to legally remain in the United States?

If so, you should find help to ensure you can stay in the country. You’ll also want to update your status so that there aren’t any further issues.

This quick guide will help you learn how to get help for undocumented immigrants. You want to act on these tips as fast as possible so you can have peace of mind as you work toward citizenship.

Here’s what you need to know:

  1. Find an Immigration Lawyer

The first step is to always find a great immigration lawyer. You can click for immigration lawyers who can take on your case.

You’ll explain your case to them and how you came to become an undocumented immigrant. You must tell them all your details and not provide any false information at this point.

Your immigration lawyer will fight a case on your behalf to ensure you change your legal status. They’ll also help you eventually get permanent residence or even citizenship.

Make sure you find an immigration lawyer who you can develop a great relationship with. You’ll have to spend several months or even years working with them. You want an immigration lawyer who has sympathy for your case as well as knowledge of the law.

  1. Consider Marriage

One of the fastest ways to work toward permanent residence and eventual citizenship is to marry a U.S. citizen.

You want to find someone whom you love and want to remain married to for several years. If you attempt to “fake” a marriage the authorities will find out and you’ll likely get deported.

If, however, you are in a long-term relationship with an American citizen you might wish to consider marriage. You’ll have to know a lot about your partner before you apply for the residency.

During your residency process you’ll have to answer questions about each other in various interview sessions. 

  1. Consider Asylum

Another option is to consider applying for asylum status in the country. This is something that your immigration lawyer will assist you with.

You’ll have to present a reason as to why you fled your native country to move to the U.S. Even if you entered the country illegally, there’s a possibility to get asylum status.

You want to start working on your asylum case as soon as you can. This is one of the longest procedures dealing with immigration law. You can expect years before your case gets processed!

Get Help for Undocumented Immigrants

Now you can get help for undocumented immigrants and ensure that you update your status.

Your first step should always be to find a great immigration lawyer. They’ll help you handle the bureaucracy of immigration services. They’ll also help you fight a case to receive your status.

If you are in a long-term relationship with an American citizen you might wish to consider marriage. This is a great way to get permanent residence. You can also consider applying for asylum status which works even if you entered the country illegally.

You can find more immigration tips on our blog!